Friday, November 14, 2008

Hip Hip Hooray!

Would you believe after all those calls I finally found someone who would listen?!
I got several phone calls on Monday - the state PTA and UFAAN have come out in full support of our efforts to create a safer environment in the schools for kids with food allergies. Six other parents and myself met with our principal and the director for Upland Terrace Elementary and after an hour and a half we are finally getting many of the changes we need!
The teachers are going to be trained, we will have standard school-wide "practices" (not policy) for handling food allergies in the classroom and we have formed a committee of parents to help support the school in their efforts.
AND ... this coming Tuesday the Granite Board Meeting will be hearing from the State PTA president, UFAAN and Mr. Martin Bates as they will be considering removing nut products from their menus and creating a district-wide policies on handling food allergies like having ingredients lists of all products served for lunches available in the lunchroom, putting pictures on all Emergency Action Plans - which will be made available to all teachers, bus drivers and lunch room workers who work with kids with severe allergies and creating formal written guidelines for the entire district on how severe food allergies should be handled in the classroom, lunch room and on field trips!!
I am so excited and nervous - I will be praying for all those administrators this coming week and for those that will be presenting information to them. I am cautiously hopeful that this will be the begininng to the end of this long quest! What a relief it could be to not have to reinvent the wheel with each teacher every year!!
I just want to do a happy dance! (So does Spencer - he has carried a lot of anxiety over all this and hopefully, very soon he can rest easier!)

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Good for you Shelley! That is awesome! All mothers everywhere thank you for your efforts! Love you!

Remember Him - He never forgets you

WMak