Friday, September 17, 2010

Comic Relief

3 houses yesterday -
1st one- 9am, 4 bedroom town house, community pool, lots of stairs but would work and they will take a 9 month lease instead of a year if we want. Keeps us in the same area of town basically, no yard though. Definitely a possibility.

Quick trip out east to meet a Steve from the Dam Ranch - he raises cows, chickens and pigs on pasture and runs a co-op. You pay a small deposit to partially own one or more of the animals, then when they are ready to be taken to the butcher you get whatever part of the animal you pay for (1/8th, 1/4th, etc) we did this in Utah and loved it - best meat we ever had. (Christiansen Hog Heaven if you are interested)
He also sells eggs by the dozen from cage free, free-range chickens - it was a delight to hold a hen again!
He can hardly wait to meet the kids and mentioned there was a rental on 10 acres he heard about on the way back to town.

Cool

On the way back to the kids school I find it - call and sure enough - its available.
80+ year old man from Taiwan owns it -
4 bedroom
you have horse?
no but we would love to raise chickens
how many?
maybe a dozen?
a dozen? on 10 acres you could have 100! 
You have husband?
Yes
He handy?
very
Oh good - he fix up my barn, you have horse! Won't have to mow 10 acres!
*laugh* maybe someday.
You want to see it?   
Yes, of course

Okay, I call you back
Ran to the school to help and have lunch with the kids, in a 20 minute time period while I was
in the library (oh sorry, center of inquiry) he called 3 times:
Sherri?
1 -Dis is Dr Choo - you want to see da house? 2 o'clock okay? You call me back?
2-Sherri?
Dis is Dr Choo - 2 o'clock I come to da house. You have chickens, pigs, what ever you want. Call me.
3-Dis is Dr Choo . . . ;you get there 1st you wait, I get there 1st I wait for you!

We met him at 2
He opened the gate
We followed him down the driveway (he signaled when he turned to park!)
The 10 acres was freshly mowed, stunning - beautiful horses in the property next door (I own, they pay $2200/month to live there and keep 6 horses, ) looked like a nice place next door - hopefully this one will be too.
We spent the next few minutes looking for the key - supposed to be left under the mat by the other renter who mows the lawn and cares for the pool.
No key
There's a window that is unlocked - Okay Tom you can go in that way

Tom hops through the window and unlocks the door
Strange - there is newspaper all over the counters - and Dr Choo casually begins to tuck his slacks into his socks as he invites us to go look around. Old renters said there was a flea problem . . he says casually.
(WHAT?)
We walk through a very small family room and down the hall, check out the old yellow bathroom and begin to feel a strangely painful sensation on our ankles and feet - 
by the time we get back to the kitchen our feet are covered in FLEAS!
You Like?
Um, no - these are kind of a problem
Oh no! Fleas no problem! I have Borac Acid! I spray - they no problem! I use to own hotel, had lots of fleas, we use Borac Acid - they all gone. I still have 1/2 a bottle!
I call right now and we can spray today!  He spends the next several minutes leaving multiple messages for his renter that cares for the place - repeatedly telling him to come and spray borac acid and kill the fleas. He doesn't want kids to get bit by fleas. (what a nice guy)
We're going to go look at the yard . . .   
As soon as we get outside we are stamping our feet, cleaning off our shoes and trying to figure out how to get out of this place as fast as we can.
You think about it - I will spray tonight - you bring kids back tomorrow - you see, no fleas!
I make you great deal! I never met someone from Utah before! The bank says I in foreclosure, but I pay them the money, I don't want to lose this place. I retired Dr, came from Taiwan in '54. Fleas, no problem.
   My phone rings as we are driving home - Sheri? Dis is Dr Choo! My wife bring borac acid to me now, we spray tonight - you come back tomorrow with kids. It be no problem! I never met someone from Utah - I make you great deal! You have 100 chickens, pigs, cows, bees - whatever you want!!
Oh man - gotta love this world we're living in - the Lord certainly MUST have a sense of humor.
  Just wait 'till you see what I saw next.
  

2 comments:

Alli grins said...

Oh Shelley! I can almost hear Dr. Choo through your narrative. I am laughing out loud, "Sheri." Foreclosures and fleas might be a problem and he tucked his socks into his pants.....LOL! BUT, you could have 100 chickens:-) I am thinking of you and praying for you, love. Hang in there! Please let me know what happens! Hugs...

Amy said...

Shelley! Your post made me laugh. Greg likes the soundtrack on your blog...he knows some of this music!
Amy

Remember Him - He never forgets you

WMak