Friday, September 3, 2010

Who told them we were coming?

Not long after we got to FL we had to put the utilities in our name in this house, which we did. I went to the city of Palmetto and paid the $175 water deposit - which isn't applied to anything and the only way to get it back is to move out of the state (we are considering this).
Then we called FP&L (Florida Power & Light) and transferred that into our names as well.  We received follow up calls, emails, even access to our bill online.  Then tonight for some strange reason we got this beauty: 



  Apparently they cannot give electric service to anyone with excellent credit - its just too risky.  At least time is on our side - nothing moves quickly here, so hopefully the power will stay on through the holiday weekend until those folks at the power company come back to work and we can get this resolved. 

My sun glasses got smashed about a week ago and I finally got around to grabbing another pair - I  have this thing about only wearing dollar store sun glasses since the more I pay for sun glasses, the faster I lose them - anyway, I saw this dandy pair of rose colored specs and knew they were meant for me. (Let me know if any of you need a pair and I will keep my eyes open)

While we were waiting for the mail, we spent the day trying to convince the transportation department for Manatee County School District  that Spencer's bus wasn't getting him home until 6pm (they get out at 4:35) and they assured us multiple times that his bus would be at the correct stop tonight before 5pm. Sure enough, just before 5 a bus came down the road - it was the bus Spencer rode last week and was moved off of due to over crowding - she stopped just long enough to tell me Spencer's bus was headed out to Parrish! (Think Draper for all you SLC-ites, a good 20 miles away)

Surely those rose colored dandy's were my saving grace as I stood on the corner using my cell phone for 30 minutes while the transportation department verified that Spencer was indeed on his way to Parrish and wouldn't be back until 6pm.  Another 20 minutes on the phone and the poor woman who had to take my calls all day today finally agreed that there was enough room for him on the old bus so he could get home by 5 and on Tuesday he could begin riding it again.  I'm sure it was the glasses -

As for the housing issue, there is a slight glimmer of hope on the horizon - there is a home not too far from where we are now, it is twice the size of this one (amazingly difficult to do here BTW) that has been up for sale for some time. It is the house we would love to buy and by some twist of fate (its the glasses again, surely) we are in active negotiations to rent, until our home in SLC sells.

Kind of crazy, but we have learned a lot from being in this little mess and those lessons are serving us well in this new endeavor. There is still a lot to work out and lots of prayers to be offered and answered - but once you start looking at things through some snazzy eye wear, you realize we have much to learn and even more to be grateful for.

If it works out, pictures will be forth coming. If it doesn't, we will be heading out East (remember the bus issue?) to rent the roomiest place we can find in our price range among the myriad of cookie cutter homes and town houses that sprang up like weeds during the housing boom (and are now foreclosing in record numbers) until our home sells in SLC next spring.

Can hardly wait to see what's next - thank goodness for the beach, rose-colored glasses and prayer.

2 comments:

Deanna E. said...

Keep wearing those rose colored dandy's! I think they are your best bet right now!! Thanks for the blog! We are sending you our love and prayers!

Amy said...

Hey Swapps...glad to know y'all arrived safely! I know I wished you an adventure, but this wasn't quite what I had in mind. You are in our prayers. We miss you guys!

Remember Him - He never forgets you

WMak